Friday, September 24, 2010

Hooray for the TSA

I haven't posted on here in a little while, because I haven't been flying in a little while.  I am taking the ground school portion of my training at the minute, which while very important, isn't actually very interesting.  Well, It's interesting to me, because I want to learn this stuff so I can pass my written test and actually become a pilot some day.  We have been learning about regulations and the theories behind why an airplane actually flies, Newtons laws of motion, Bernoulli's principle and things of that sort.  The last lesson was about Weather and how it is formed and how it relates to how we fly.  Which basically boils down to stay away from the clouds.

In other news though, apparently the Transport Safety Authority has an Alien Flight Student Program, and neither I or anybody at the Flight School had heard of it, so Michael was very surprised when he got a call from the TSA after submitting my paperwork saying I had soloed.  Fortunately they waived the $2500 fine, as this was the first time it had come up, and I had given them copies of all the paperwork the TSA would have requested anyway.

Bob had to sign up with this AFSP program as a training provider, which he did this week, and I had to submit a "Training Request" through their website.  Currently I am waiting for an email with further instructions of how to pay the $130 processing fee, and where I need to go to get my fingerprints taken.  The downside is that I am effectively grounded until this is all sorted out.

Fortunately with Ground School from 6 to 9 three nights a week, I was going to be cutting down my actual flight time anyway, so this all happened at the best time possible really.

Stay Tuned for more (probably sporadic) information!
-Gareth

0 comments:

Post a Comment